During this age of outrageous fad diets and juice cleanses left and right, it is only natural for you to believe that eating well only serves the purposes of helping you reach your body goals and sustain you enough to get you through your day. However, it is never too early to start thinking about foods in terms of their benefits for age defying beauty. Although many of us believe that we are gifted with eternal youth, sadly, we are not. Thankfully, Dr. Christopher Calapai, D.O., an Osteopathic Physician board certified in family and anti-aging medicine has unlocked a list of ten age defying foods that will help save you from all of the anti-wrinkle creams in the future. Read on for a list of foods that will keep them guessing your age.
1. Edamame: Collagen, the fibrous protein that keeps skin firm and wrinkle-free, begins to decline in your 20s. Eating edamame, a food rich in soy, can help preserve collagen. Soy contains isoflavones – a natural compound that is capable of exerting estrogen-like effects.
2. Tart Cherry Juice: Who knew that this tangy drink naturally contains melatonin? Well, it does. And melatonin promotes sleep. Beauty sleep – enough said.
3. Oysters: These shellfish are filled with selenium and zinc, which both possess skin-clearing properties. Zinc is a trace mineral that is essential for its role in cell growth and cell replication. Selenium is a dietary mineral that increases your antioxidants levels. Antioxidants are critical for preventing blocked pores.
4. Honey: This sweet treat is a natural humectant, meaning it attracts water. When it comes to your skin, consuming honey helps draw water from the mineral tissues to the surface of the skin, keeping it moisturized, supple and flake-free.
5. Sweet Potato: Aside from being delicious, sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene, which is converted to Vitamin A. Vitamin A prevents hair from becoming dull and lifeless and your scalp dry and flaky – which can result in dandruff.
6. Cantaloupe: Very high in antioxidants, you’ll keep your eye health on point and since it is rich in vitamin C immune health is increased. That means fewer colds leaving you weak and sluggish. Finally, this power fruit protects you from free radicals at the cellular level.
7. Brazil Nuts: All you need to eat are 4 of these a day to meet the daily requirement. Packed with selenium, Brazil nuts protect skin against age spots and sun damage. Be sure to keep them in the fridge; once shelled they spoil.
8: Roasted Chickpeas: Packed with kaempferol and quercetion, two inflammation fighters, chickpeas keep skin looking clear and even. Also, as we age our metabolism slows down. Manganese and copper are two minerals that support metabolism at the cellular level.
9. Cucumbers: A cucumber a day keeps cellulite away. Not only are they delicious and packed skin plumping water but, when sliced and rubbed on cellulite prone areas they phytochemicals tighten collagen reducing the visibility of cellulite.
10. Guacamole: You can’t go wrong with avocados, which are great for your blood and bones. Oleic acid, the monounsaturated fat that is good for your heart makes up 59% of its total fat. It’s also great for skin and hair.
Whether it be guacamole shared during a G.N.O. (Girls Night Out) at a Mexican restaurant or a teaspoon of honey in your Greek yogurt, before you begin your day, these foods for age defying beauty are probably already in your everyday diets without you even knowing! If you may need to take extra steps to include these foods in your diet, believe me, you will be thankful in 30 years.