Cheat meals often consist of the greasiest, cheesiest and most high-carb foods that you can get your hands on, which is why a healthy quesadilla recipe is probably a go-to option. You also probably question why certain foods, such as quesadillas, are so easy to make and so delicious yet are usually the worst for you. However, by modifying the classic cheese quesadilla and substituting some of its ingredients with healthier options, it is, in fact, possible for quesadillas to be quick, easy and healthy… You no longer have to wait a full month to indulge on a delicious quesadilla for your cheat meal! Here is a quick, easy and healthy take on this classic Mexican dish that includes beneficial fillings and healthier substitutions that will satisfy all of your cravings.
Quick, Easy and Healthy Chicken and Mixed Vegetable Quesadillas
Total Time: 16 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 minutes
8 (6-8 inch) Whole Grain or Cornmeal Tortillas (Try to avoid white flour tortillas! Its process includes removing the bran, which means it also loses most of its fiber and nutrients.)
2 (6 ounce) cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (leftover rotisserie chicken also works great for this – just remove the skin)
½ cup of diced mushrooms
½ cup of diced red pepper
½ cup of diced zucchini
¾ cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil
1. Coat a large skillet or griddle with cooking spray. Set pan over medium heat to preheat.
2. In a nonstick pan, cook red pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms in olive oil over medium to medium high heat for about 4-5 minutes. Remove excess liquid from the vegetables to avoid soggy quesadillas and remove from pan.
3. Using a fork, shred the chicken.
4. Arrange the tortillas on a flat surface. Top one side of each tortilla with an equal amount of chicken and vegetables. Top the same side with shredded cheese.
5. Fold over tortillas, making a half moon.
6. Place quesadillas in the preheated skillet or griddle and cook until golden on both sides, approximately 2-3 minutes per side.
7. Remove quesadilla from pan, and repeat with remaining ingredients.
8. Cut each quesadilla with a knife or a pizza cutter and serve hot.
You do not have to be a master in the kitchen to support a healthier diet. You do not have confine yourself to boring, bland meals in order to achieve your desired beach body. And you certainly should not have to feel ashamed to indulge in your favorite childhood meal, no matter what age you are! Quesadillas are the perfect meal to cook when in a rush between classes or when you are too tired to cook up a three-course meal after work. This healthy quesadilla recipe is not only quick, easy and healthy, but they are also absolutely delicious.
Products We Recommend